Thursday, September 07, 2006

Irresistible Revolution

I have just finished reading Shane Claiborne's book "The Irresistible Revolution" and I must say the book blew me away. In a largely biographical fashion, Claiborne, goes about explaining the theology behind "Living as an Ordinary Radical." Shane reveals his story of being called to live with the poor and homeless in Philadelphia, his experiences working alongside Mother Teresa, and standing with Iraqi Christians in Iraq as his government bombed their home. Throughout these amazing and touching stories, Shane holds onto humility stressing that he has not done anything out of the ordinary, that he has simply taken Jesus' words seriously. Something that me all can do; unfortunately the Church has fallen asleep so those like Shane are seen as radicals. However he argues that they are, ordinary radicals, ordinary Christians with nothing more to offer than their lives, living out the radical, counter cultural teachings of our Saviour.

This book is essential reading for anyone who is looking for more out of their Christian walk than pew warming, and anyone who is starting to hear the cries of the poor, and see that the bible has an answer.

There are heaps of web links in this book, and I will be spending a bit of time surfing, I'll pass on any of the good links that I visit...

Peter

3 comments:

Andy said...

Peter,
many parts moved me, and stood out for me in this book,
eg, when he was taling about Mother Theresa's feet - crippled because she took all the bad shoes, so that others would'nt have to wear them.

I also got alot out of his spin on the mustard seed - identifying the mustard bush as an unwanted week in the Jew's orgnaised garden, etc.

GREAT BOOK!!!

Anonymous said...

Peter, may I make use of this in my reviews section, please? I'll include a link back to your blog.

Thanks in anticipation,

Phil

The Dekkers said...

Yeah Phil,

If you are interested in it go ahead - no probs

Peter