Monday, November 13, 2006

Burmese Outing 2 - Electric Boogaloo

Well, there really were no flash dance related activities on our second Burmese outing, it just sounds like such a great title for a sequel I had to resurrect it...

Our outing this time around was to have a bit of a tour of the wonderful city of Me!bourne (the advertising is obviously getting to me!) . We had about 50 Burmese coming along on our trip with us again this time round - so obviously these guys enjoy our company, and we just toured around the city walking down southbank; seeing the buskers (with mixed reactions from our Burmese friends) hanging out by the crystal clear waters of the Yarra River, having a delicious lunch of Burmese curry, jam packed full of tripe and liver and other stuff I could not identify! (yum yum! - my missions training is really paying off!). We also took a tour around the city on the Melbourne circle tram to see all the sights.

It was a great day of building relationships with these people, Jacob made a bit of a friendship with a 12 year old boy named Cubby, and Sam as usual was adopted straight away and was being looked after and fed all day long (which did pose a bit of a problem when it came to the offal curry!).

People were quite eager to pose for photos with members of the team as well as getting group photos with the Melbourne skyline behind them. It was great when we arrived back at springvale station to have everyone thank us for a fun day out and shake our hands - I think we are really making inroads into this community.

Peter

3 comments:

The Dekkers said...

Hey Pete...........all I can say in regards to your title is.................WHAT THE?????

I still love you even if you make no sense!!!!!!!

Naomi

Andy said...

I find it interesting that you guys are communicating via your blog...

Liver and tripe, eh?

Good also yto see the Essendon flag (Junper0 ben paraded around the city - let the Burmes know that this is the team to follow if they want to truly integrate into Melbourne Culture (Bad luck Steve, I claim for Essnedon).

Andy!!

The Dekkers said...

Hey Andy,

We do find other ways to communicate, this was just my way of letting the world know that I don't always get Petes weird sense of humour either!!!!!!!

Jake is learning to stand up for what he beleives in, no matter how much crap he gets. He can't wear that jumper without getting reactions (I don't get it coz I know nothing about footy)

Maybe we should try to recreate the liver and tripe dish when we eventually get you guys over for dinner.....mmm delicious!!!

naomi